Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Flirting with Leopards

Leopard has added a feisty little touch to a woman's wardrobe since it's eccentric popularity rose in the late 1920s and early 1930s. Glamorous movie mavens like Carol Lombard, were quite happy to indulge in this exotic pattern.



I think that in order to wear leopard in a successful style, it must be done very carefully. Too much of it, all over the place, all at one time, can lead to a leopard fashion disaster.

The rule of thumb I apply to myself when wearing leopard; is to tastefully apply small touches of it to a solid color {image one}. Or if I'm going to wear a full garment in a leopard print, such as a blouse or coat . I make sure the rest of my outfit pieces are not leopard {image two}, again balancing it in with solid colors. That way I don't scream overkill on the leopard. I personally love this print and feel sassy-chic every time I have it on!


 {image one}
1950s leopard fur hat: razzle dazzle vintage 
faux leopard fur leather gloves: target
faux leopard fur booties: dillard's


{image two}
1930s style leopard neck tie blouse: target
vintage 1930s brown wool skirt: thrifted
cream beret: thrifted
gray spectator oxford's: gianni bini

xo~Syd 




26 comments:

  1. Love the second outfit!
    I need blouses like that in my wardrobe, but I can never find them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. meow!!! Love that first one! Those boots are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such cute outfits, both! Those boots are fab *drool*
    I agree with you completely on your "rules" for wearing leopard. A little goes a long way! I think leopard looks so beautiful with camel tones, and a tiny dash of red.
    It's a classic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. soo adorable!Since fall i was craving for leopard. And like you I got 2 vintage leopard hats and leopard belts...*shoes, and gloves!! LOL
    Love it!! FAB!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love both but the second is my fave. So "bonnie and clyde" :)
    D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want those shoes. Can you give me the name or tell me where they are available?
    Thanks,
    D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both outfits are fabulous - especially on you! Did you know that there are actually 18th century men's jackets with leopard print, and at least one Victorian bustle dress in full leopard print pattern (talk about leopard print overkill!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You wear both so beautifully! I especially like the top outfit, its perfect for winter!

    I have very similar gloves and a matching faux fur scarfelette, and theres nothing like a touch of leopard to add a little wild sass to an outfit! Totally agree with all your rules.

    xErin

    anodetoreverie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such great outfits, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. am enjoying your newly found "blog".

    (mumble mumble, toil and trouble . . . I'm back here looking for that fake Leopard Skin Jacket -- maybe it is in vogue again?)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a complete 70's look, I really like that look, so elegant and so beautiful classy look, nice sharing

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beutiful, really really elegant.

    I left you a little award on my blog
    http://littlemissbossysadventures.blogspot.com/2011/01/thank-you-speech.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely outfits and I do agree, head to toe Leopard is a bit much. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  14. you look amazing! i really like your blog :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful outfits! You look stunning with your leopard insipired outfits. By the way, I can't help but notice your pretty leopard hat. It looks good on you too! Thanks for sharing these pretty images. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. GG of the West, we have a bit in common. My partner and I were wearing retro back in the 1970s. It was a good time for thrift stores. I used to find fabulous things back then. You got a discriminating eye.

    Best,

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for all the conversation! I enjoyed reading all of your replies, such stylish women!

    xoxo~Syd

    ReplyDelete
  18. All very nice, but we need to remember that the starlets of the 20s and 30s (anytime up to the 60s really) being so crazy for real leopardskin is the reason leopards are critically endangered now.

    I wear plenty of leopard print but it does have a sad history when you think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Honestly, I had never seen an outfit with any sort of animal print I actually liked until this! I certainly wouldn't mind looking that splendid in leopard... in fact I might just have to hunt some down now. Both outfits are fantastic, but I particularly I adore your first ensemble!

    - Gracie

    ReplyDelete